You are viewing an archive version of the PSNC website taken on 18th April 2013. This site is not updated, and may be out of date or relate to old NHS structures.
For updated and current information, please visit our new website at
Skip Navigation
PSNC Home Page
Advanced Search

Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee

Broken Bulk

What can you claim broken bulk against?

thumbs up

thumbs down

  • Special containers
  • Part VIIIA Category A and M products with smallest listed pack size of less than £50
  • All unlicensed specials and imports*
  • Part IXA
  • Part IXR

* Unless on the ingredients used to prepare an unlicensed special (extemporaneously dispensing).

The broken bulk endorsement enables pharmacy contractors to claim payment for a complete pack of a product where only a part-pack has been dispensed. Broken bulk can be claimed on all drugs, appliances or chemical reagents other than those supplied as special containers, listed in Part VIIIA Categories A and M if the smallest pack size listed is less than £50, all unlicensed specials and imports, Part IXA or Part IXR of the Drug Tariff.

Category A and M products eligible for broken bulk as per May Drug Tariff.

Category A and M products eligible for broken bulk as per April Drug Tariff.

To make a claim, endorse the prescription with information on the pack size supplied and the endorsement 'BB'.

If a claim is accepted, pharmacy contractors will be reimbursed for the complete pack dispensed. Subsequent prescriptions received during the next six months will be deemed to have been supplied from the remainder. During this time, no further payment will be made other than fees and consumable allowances until the remainder has been used up.

For a claim to be accepted, pharmacy contractors must dispense from the pack or combination of packs that minimises the residual balance. Contractors should only claim broken bulk where it is unlikely that they will be able to dispose of the remainder, for example through using the balance to fill other prescriptions.

Frequently Asked Questions

I have received an FP10 prescription for 7ml of Zopiclone oral suspension 3.75mg/5ml. My specials manufacturer will only supply a minimum size of 10ml. Can I claim Broken Bulk on this?

Broken Bulk cannot be claimed on unlicensed specials manufactured or supplied by a company operating under an MHRA specials licence. It should be noted that in Part VIIIB of the Drug Tariff, there is a minimum reimbursement price set against a pack size of 100ml - so a contractor would be paid the list price for 100ml, even where less was prescribed.

However, if a product has been extemporaneously dispensed by the pharmacy contractor, broken bulk is allowed on the ingredients used to make it. This is to cover times when the contractor may not have the opportunity to use the remainder of the open container used in preparing the special. 

I am reviewing the expensive items detailed on my schedule of payments. Where I have claimed broken bulk for a particular expensive item, will this be shown on the Schedule of Payments?

The schedule of payments now includes a section which shows the number and value of expensive items which were dispensed during the month, which have an item value of £100 or more. The prices quoted on the schedule of payments are the basic price of the quantity prescribed/dispensed and do not include any additional fees or adjustments due to broken bulk claims.



DOWNLOADS: Some documents are available in PDF format, you will require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or later for viewing which can be downloaded from the Adobe Website